March 21, 2016 by firstname.lastname@example.org
Welcome to my corner of the internet. Like any good host, I feel I should give you a very brief “behind the scenes” tour, featuring the sights of the writing world I inhabit IRL (in real life, for those of you who aren’t as hip as me. Edit: *as hip as I.*) Here goes!
I spy . . .
- The coffee table on which this computer is propped–littered with cell phones, library books, bills, outdated People magazines, and mugs filled with old coffee. Always coffee. A fun little game is to see how many mugs the table can collect by 3 pm.
- A jungle-themed playmat with mobile attachment, taking a sanity-relieving break from its continuous playing of the melody “Lou, Lou, Skip to m’Lou.” Who is Lou? And why should we skip? These questions haunt me.
- A stray Sophie the Giraffe. Oh, Sophie. We love you, Sophie.
- Spit-up on the robe I’ve been wearing for the last 4.5 months, ever since two tiny little people made their entrance into the world via my person. So what’s new? (And when will said robe be washed? Ehh. Maybe next month.)
- About 32,610 dust bunnies. I don’t mind them so much. They’re good company most days.
And the woman behind the screen? My eyelids are propped up by toothpicks. My idea of dressing up now is wearing leggings instead of yoga pants. I race to stay one sentence ahead of my sleeping babies, my words written to the soundtrack of the whirring sound machine that plays during naptime. I smile when I remember sleep, in the same way I smile when I think of dear old friends I haven’t seen in a while. I smile when I think of those babies, too. They’re better than sleep.
Most of the time.